Guides

  • Westerville

    Westerville Westerville is rich in history—its beginnings traced to 1806 when a Revolutionary War veteran settled along Alum Creek.  Westerville was named for New York natives Matthew and Peter Westervelt…

  • Columbus

    Columbus Columbus was laid out in 1812 and incorporated in 1816.  As the capital city of Ohio it became a center of learning and social activities. The city has a…

  • Galena

    Galena Galena was established in 1809 at the junction of Big and Little Walnut Creeks.  It was first name Zoar, but because Ohio had another town of that name, it…

  • Sunbury

    Sunbury Sunbury is a quaint historic village located in central Ohio.  The name “Sunbury” was recorded in 1816 by two brothers, William and Lawrence Myers, who came from Pennsylvania. The…

  • Dublin

    Dublin Dublin is part of 2,000 acres of land given to an officer who served in the Revolutionary War.  In the early 1800s, the John Sells family purchased 400 acres…

  • Hilliard

    Hilliard In 1852, John Reed Hilliard bought ten acres of farmland in western Franklin County.  The original train station has been restored and remains in Hilliard’s historic Weaver Park.  The…

  • Grove City

    Grove City Grove City’s beginnings are traced to settlers who came to occupy land given to Revolutionary soldiers.  The city was laid out in 1852 and incorporated a few years…

  • Worthington

    Worthington Worthington was named for Thomas Worthington, an Ohio senator.  It was founded by settlers from Connecticut in 1803, the year Ohio became a state.  Similar to many early communities,…

  • Delaware

    Delaware Delaware, settled in 1808, was named for the Delaware Indian tribe.  It is home of Ohio Wesleyan University, one of the top liberal arts colleges in the country.   Historic…

  • Gahanna

    Gahanna Gahanna was founded along the Big Walnut Creek in 1849.  Gahanna is derived from a Native American word for three creeks joining into one.  The village is committed to…

  • New Albany

    New Albany New Albany is part of the “Military District” in Ohio, land given to Revolutionary War soldiers.  Founded in 1837, it has become a vibrant, growing community with a…

  • Powell

    Powell Powell was named “Middlebury” by the first settlers who arrived around 1801 from Middlebury, Connecticut.  It was later renamed “Powell” after Judge Thomas Powell who established the first post…

  • Lewis Center

    Lewis Center Lewis Center is in Orange Township, whose first settlers arrived in 1807.  The village began in 1850 when a railroad was built in the area.  It was named…

  • Marysville

    Marysville Marysville is situated on land given to a Revolutionary War soldier in 1789.  The land passed through several owners and was named “Marysville” in 1819 by Samuel Cuthbertson in…

  • Pickerington

    Pickerington Pickerington was settled in 1808.  The first plat of land was laid out by Abraham Pickering In 1815, and his name was given to the town in 1827. The…

  • Johnstown

    Johnstown Johnstown is part of a four thousand acre tract given to John Brown, a revolutionary soldier in 1800. Johnstown is a working community with many opportunities for employment, housing,…

  • Canal Winchester

    Canal Winchester Canal Winchester, established in 1828, was a major hub of the Ohio and Erie Canal system, one of the most important canals in Ohio.  It was also considered…